Did you know that more than 12 million elderly Americans live alone? Many of these seniors are unable to support themselves with nutritious meals on a daily basis let alone during Thanksgiving and the holidays. As your family begins celebrating the season, consider moving away from the dining table in favor of a less-traditional Thanksgiving—one that values volunteering over turkey and stuffing.
Volunteers are always welcome to sign up for any of the numerous Meals on Wheels and meal-delivery programs throughout the Phoenix region. Here’s a list of local organizations that may need volunteer drivers to prepare and transport meals to the elderly and disabled on Thanksgiving Day:
- Area Agency on Aging in Scottsdale, AZ – The AAA is accepting volunteers for their Scottsdale Home Delivered Meals program. As a volunteer, you’ll drive and deliver meals to homebound seniors living in Paradise Valley and Scottsdale. Volunteering is a two-hour commitment once per week, with special opportunities available on Thanksgiving and throughout the holiday season.
- YWCA Senior Center in Glendale, AZ – Meals on Wheels delivery drivers can apply to volunteer online. To accommodate dozens of prepackaged meals, all volunteers have a larger vehicle like a Honda Odyssey or Honda Pilot. New Pilot SUVs offer up to 109 cubic feet of maximum cargo space, which should be more than enough room to store a couple hundred meals.
- East Valley Adult Resources in Mesa, AZ – EVAR’s Meal Delivery Program ensures community participants receive hot and nutritious meals daily, including on the holidays. If you have a background in the healthcare field, you may also be qualified to perform wellness checks on individuals at each visit.
- FSL in Peoria, AZ – The Foundation for Senior Living is in need of Home Delivered Meals Drivers that can bring food to program participants within the Peoria region on an ongoing basis, as well as on Thanksgiving and Christmas. FSL vehicles are utilized, so there’s no need to have a large van or SUV.
- United Way – In all, 13 United Way facilities operating in Arizona, including ones in Tucson, Prescott, Mesa, Phoenix, and Mesa. Each United Way has its own volunteer opportunities, though most have in-home meal delivery programs in need of drivers. Check your nearest United Way for availability.
- Sun City Meals on Wheels – Volunteer drivers for Sun City Meals use their own vehicles and work with a “runner” who delivers meals to clients. Volunteering is needed on a regular basis, though the company may have unique options for the holiday season.
- Catholic Community Services of Southern Arizona – This meal-delivery service is available in Sierra Vista, Yuma, and Tucson. Most CCS volunteers who own trucks like the Honda Ridgeline may be asked to help with the pick-up and delivery of furniture, appliances, and other large items, too. Ridgeline’s bed, with its dual-hinge tailgate, was designed to maximize hauling capabilities.
- Lutheran Social Services of the Southwest – LSS’s Pima Meals on Wheels program is sometimes in need of volunteer drivers who can deliver meals to seniors within Pima County. They’re also accepting volunteers for their Pet Care Project program in Tucson, which pairs volunteers with seniors who require help with their pets.
- Tempe Community Action Agency – All TCAA volunteer meal carriers must have a clean driving record and a reliable vehicle like the 2019 Honda CR-V, Kelley Blue Book’s 2019 Compact SUV Best Buy winner*. Mileage reimbursements are available upon request, though most Tempe volunteers do not request or redeem any money for their service.
- Fountain Hills Home Delivered Meals – Prepared meals are distributed to all individuals, regardless of age, who sign up for this service in Fountain Hills, AZ. Volunteers are needed daily to ensure the timely delivery of meals, which is usually around lunchtime.
- Laura Danieli Senior Activity Center in Phoenix – The Salvation Army helps fund the Laura Danieli Senior Activity Center, which assists seniors throughout the Phoenix area. In-home meal delivery is just one of the numerous services offered, and volunteers are always welcome to join the team.
This year, emphasize the “giving” part of Thanksgiving by volunteering at a local nonprofit or donating to a charity. Your simple act of kindness during the holidays can make a great deal of difference.
About Valley Honda Dealers
Serving the entire Phoenix Valley area, including Tempe, Chandler, Prescott, and Surprise, our Arizona Honda dealerships offer deals and low prices on the newest Honda models and certified pre-owned vehicles. Find a Valley Honda Dealer near you to shop and save on a car, truck, SUV, or van this Thanksgiving or holiday.
*For more information, visit Kelley Blue Book’s KBB.com. Kelley Blue Book is a registered trademark of Kelley Blue Book Co., Inc.