Leave it to Honda—a company with a reputation for building some of the safest vehicles on the road today—to come up with an ingenious suite of safety features that can “sense” when you might be in danger of a potential collision. Honda’s Sensing® is, in Honda’s own words, “a suite of driver-assistive technologies [that] can help you sense things you might miss while driving.” And at our Valley Honda Dealers locations around Mesa and Phoenix, we’re all about helping you stay safe on the road.
Technology in Sync With the Times
Roads today are more congested than ever before, and new challenges like distracted driving—thanks a lot, cell phones—have become all too common. Honda’s Sensing® takes these challenges on with technologies that have the ability to recognize dangers on the road, no matter what form they may take. Honda Sensing consists of several intuitive technologies that work together in synergy to prevent or mitigate collisions. Here’s what it consists of:
- Lane Departure Warning (LDW) – As its name implies, this feature will warn you with a sound if it senses that you’re about to leave your lane without engaging your turn signal.
- Lane Keeping Assist System (LKAS) – Backing up the LDW, the Lane Keeping Assist feature will actually make a correction to keep you in the center of your lane.
- Road Departure Mitigation (RDM) – Whether you’re momentarily distracted by something or becoming drowsy after long hours on the road, RDM will alert you with a series of rapid vibrations in the steering wheel if you veer off track. It will also self-correct your trajectory by steering and braking, if necessary, to keep you on the road and in your lane.
- Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) – This feature helps you maintain a set following distance so you don’t have to continually adjust your speed when traffic conditions change.
- Forward Collision Warning (FCW) – This feature accomplishes its mission via a small camera mounted at the top of your windshield, which detects the presence of vehicles ahead of you. If FCW detects a vehicle ahead that you’re in danger of hitting, it activates warnings — both audio and visual — to alert you to the impending danger. If you don’t react, it will automatically apply brake pressure in conjunction with CMBS (below).
- Collision Mitigation Braking System (CMBS) – Working with FCW, the Collision Mitigation Braking System will help stop your vehicle when it detects (via a millimeter wave radar sensor) an imminent collision. While this won’t necessarily prevent an impact with that vehicle, it will lessen the impact and your chances of serious injury.
Honda Pilot Adaptive Cruise Control – Photo: automobiles.honda.com
Experienced drivers know that an accident can happen in mere seconds. Honda Sensing aims to take advantage of those few critical seconds by reacting even before you realize what’s happening. These technologies are active, and when combined with more passive safety features like airbags, a multi-angle rear-view camera, and Honda’s exclusive ACE™ body structure—which is designed to distribute the energy generated by a collision more evenly across the front of the vehicle—they make your Honda one of the safest vehicles on the road for everyone.
Which Models Offer Honda Sensing®?
Wondering which 2017 and 2018 Honda models offer Honda Sensing as a standard feature or an available option? Luckily for you, it’s available in some capacity across the board! Whether you need the family-hauling Odyssey, powerful and rugged Ridgeline, or the award-winning Accord, you can expect your Honda to keep you protected.
Like Honda, our Scottsdale and Phoenix car dealers care about your safety. Come explore the many great features of a new or certified pre-owned Honda vehicle your nearest Valley Honda Dealers location today! With numerous car specials on new Hondas, such as the CR-V, Civic, and Fit, we can even help you save money when you buy or lease the latest model. Where else can you pay less to feel more secure on the road?
For more details about our Honda Sensing-equipped vehicles, locate your closest Valley Honda Dealers showroom. We have dealerships all around the Phoenix area, including Chandler, Avondale, and Mesa, AZ. Come check us out!
Sources & Photos: